Monday, June 15, 2009

I DID IT!!!!


I finished! On Saturday, June 13th I ran the Dam Half Marathon with one of my best friends, Kendra. I am so proud of myself for finishing. It was a really hard race. What I didn't realize when I signed up is how much of the race was actually uphill. The first 10 miles were uphill, then there was about 2 miles total of flats and about a mile downhill. We finished in 2:29:18. I was hoping to finish in under 2.5 hours and we did... even with all of the uphill. I was happy with that.

I was so sore that night and the next day that I could hardly walk. I have never been so sore in my entire life. I know it was from all of the uphill. My body was just not used to that. We ran 13.5 miles when we were training for the race and I was a little stiff, but nothing like how I felt after the actual race. OUCH. I finally took the advice of a friend and took an ice bath. At first I was not sure what hurt worse, my aching muscles or submerging my entire lower body into ice water. After the first 5 minutes I was completely numb... so the last 10 -15 minutes were not as bad. I think it helped because I am feeling a little better today. I am stiff but not hurting as much.

Jesse met us at the finish line and took some pictures. It was so nice to have him there waiting for me. He is always so supportive and I am so thankful to him for that. I really lucked out in the husband department!! I lucked out in the friend department as well. Thanks for running with me Kendra. You did awesome. We are a good team if I must say so myself. I look forward to many more races together. I have now completed one 5K, one 10K and a half marathon. I guess my next step is to complete a marathon. I better get training now!




4 comments:

Browning Buzz said...

That's so great! Very, very impressive!!

Browning Buzz said...

Oh, and P.S. I looked a little closer at your pictures and in that first running picture with the guy in the black wearing #63, I know him. He's my parents neighbor. Looks like you were hustling hard to pass him! Way to go!

Kacie and Jake C. said...

Congratulations on the marathon! I am jealous that you guys are running and I can't go with you! Keep it up!

susie said...

Good for you..We were out at Justin's parents house that day and I wondered if we would see you run by, but I think you beat us there.